Chümoukedima was designated as the first headquarter of then Naga Hills District of Assam Province, British India from 1866 until the administrative office moved to Wokha in 1875 and then to Kohima in 1879. The town was also called Nechu Guard and also as Samaguting during World War II. It is the third-largest urban agglomeration in Nagaland after Dimapur and Kohima. Chumoukedima is bordered by Dimapur, Jalukie, Kohima and Niuland districts of Nagaland.